Sunday, October 21, 2012

Changes

For a long time many of you have heard me say that life is a series of changes. I believe that strongly. As I looked at the natural world around me this early fall I was reminded of this truth with the leaves falling from the trees before they could give us the beautiful colors of autumn. I thought about how some years they float to the lawn into a carpet of multicolor. Not this time. They just dive-bomb.

I have spent the last 28 years working happily among the colors of fabrics, threads, and embroideries with wonderful co-workers and customers. These have been good years and I have a multitude of friends and acquaintances over this state and neighboring states. I have gotten acquainted with some "quilting stars" across the country and those have been enriching experiences - some better than others.

Now is the time for a change for me and my family as I have reached an autumnal stage in my life. I achieved what for me is a milestone age in August and find that I am ready for yet another change by altering my routine to semi-retirement and the freedom to travel and "Grandmother" those precious grandchildren who have entered the lives of Grandpa and me. Four of the seven live west of the Mississippi River and need to see us more often.

Those of you who have depended on Bobby's excellent service on your sewing machines don't panic! Bobby has no plans to give up his service customers. We will continue the Heirlooms & Comforts Husqvarna Viking dealership on a Concierge basis keeping special hours to serve customers who wish to have Bobby care for their machines and to purchase Husqvarna Viking products.

There will, we hope, be someone who will take the "baton" of the quilt shop and run with it for the future. As for Grandma Ballentine, the time has come for sewing, gardening, and travel. Those six little boys and Eleanor are going to see more of their grandparents Ballentine. This is a family tradition that we want to perpetuate.

Thanks for the good times, ladies, with Heirlooms & Comforts and the world of the quilt shop. It has been, sometimes, back-bending work, but most rewarding in friendships forged and fondly remembered. I wish to move out of this chapter of my life like the leaves of a colorful autumn floating gracefully to the ground, making a carpet of varied color even more intricate than before.

Maybe, as some persons have suggested, I will write about these 28 years - oh my! That would read with quite a variety of moods.

One of the stages of my life was as a high school English teacher. That experience left me with a love of the poetry of Robert Frost. Contemplate this conversational poem from him:

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Be on the lookout for more information about the change of hours for Heirlooms & Comforts. Classes and events are not altered at all for the next few months. We have business as usual for some time yet.
Sara 

Barbara Moore
Our Educator friend Barbara Moore from Husqvarna Viking will hold an all-day Trunk Show and Demo Event at Heirlooms & Comforts on November 13 starting at 10:00 AM. She will be featuring the Husqvarna Viking Designer Ruby DeLuxe and the exciting new Opal line of sewing machines while spotlighting the newest products and projects. There will be great embroidery projects and features, easy embellishments that can be accomplished by almost any machine in our line-up. As many of you know, Barbara has so many great ideas and methods for using H-V products. The newest embroidery collections from H-V will also be featured in this program. There are new feet to learn about, too. The tuition for this all-day event and your lunch and door prizes is $10. Sign up right away for a relaxed day of fun and fellowship while learning about new products!! Space is limited.

Opal 650 and Opal 670
These two new machines from Husqvarna Viking are designed, engineered and built by Viking and are the "darlings" of the line-up right now. They are great machines with features that most enthusiastic sewers wish to have on their sewing machine. Bobby has become a fan of this model for its style and grace. He thinks this is a great engineering coup for Husqvarna Viking and a great buy for our customers. It is lightweight for taking to class or to workshops. This is the ONE that we have been wishing and waiting for. Come in to try it out; you'll love it. There is a terrific introductory price on each of these Opal models, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment